Kota Kuala Kedah Museum , kedah | Malaysia

The Kuala Kedah Fort or Kuala Bahang fort is situated at the northern shore of the Kedah river. It was built as as a protection for the state of Kedah and its capital, Alor Star. The fort was built in 1771 during Sultan Muhammad Jiwa’s reign and was completed in 1780.
The design of the fort was done by Hafiz Sab, who was then hiding the post of Dato’ Maharaja Kadhi. Other designers were brought in from India. Gateway was built in the northern part of the fort facing Alor Melaka which was called “Pintu Gerbang Kadapun” (The Kadapun Gateway).
The fort has survived attacks by the Bugis, Achechnese and the Siamese. In 1909, when Kedah was officially under British rule, a few government offices was built within the vicinity of the fort, including a lighthouse. A new gateway was built which exists to this day.
During the Japanese occupation in the Malay States, the fort was used as their Armed Forces’ headquarters until their defeat in the hands of the British in 1945. In August 31 1978, the fort was dubbed a”historical land site” by the Department of Museums and Antiquities (currently known as Department of Museums Malaysia) under the “Artifacts Act 1976”, Act 165. In November 2000, the Department of Museums and Antiquities has launched excavation works in the eastern and southern parts of the fort, including rebuilding the Kacapuri gateway which collapsed in 1970.

Kota Kuala Kedah Museum
Address : Kompleks Sejarah Kota Kuala Kedah ,
Jabatan Muzium Malaysia (Wilayah Utara),
Kampung Seberang Kota06600 Kuala Kedah,Kedah Darulaman
Contact : 04 - 7319297
Hours : Saturday - Thurdays: 9.00am - 6.00pm
Friday : 9.00am - 12.30pm / 2.30pm - 6.00pm




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Koh Lipe , Thailand (DAY 1) | Thailand

Hot Springs Sungai Klah , Sungkai Perak | Malaysia

Kwan Yin Tong Temple[觀音洞] @ Ipoh | Malaysia (3D Paintting)

Koh Lipe | Thailand (DAY 2)